How many tools does it take to start implementing scaled agile in Jira?

Need some guidance. We have been using Jira for years but we’re now looking at scaling from our team level projects to multiple teams or even the entire company. New territory for us…what’s needed?

Sounds like you either have started, or are planning to, implement scaled agile methodologies within your Jira environment? If that’s the case, it’s quite understandably confusing or even a bit overwhelming.

I’ve heard of organizations using a hodgepodge of tools to support a complete transition to scaled agile - by this I’m referring specifically to Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe®). Jira, while a great ticketing and project management tool, by itself is missing a few elements to make what you’re looking to do, a reality. For example, some folks will using diagramming tools to assist with the Program Increment (PI) process…but then translating that back into Jira can be a very manual process, especially when things change.

If you want to commiserate and learn from what others in your same situation have gone through, I think this article will get you started in the right direction - The Trials and Tribulations of Implementing Scaled Agile in Jira. This one falls along the same lines and could prove helpful as well - 5 Reasons Why Agile Hive Will Help Your SAFe Rollout with Atlassian Jira.

Best of luck!